Saturday, July 5, 2008

Punta!

Had a great night last which was one of those rare unique experiences I was complaining about not having a couple of posts ago.

Macanaca and I went to a club called El Pelicano last night, a teeny bar in the backstreets of Antigua. His friends band was playing and he asked me to come check it out with him. All he could tell me was it was Garifuna music which meant nothing to me but turned out to be AWESOME.

The Garifuna people are Guatemalans of Afro descent who live on the Carribean coast of Guatemala. They speak Spanish and a Mayan language called Kekchi and are just beautiful people. The band was made up of two drummers, a guy who played the shells both as a percussion instrument and to blow into like a trumpet, two singers and three hot lady punta dancers, all dressed in traditional get up, rocking it hard. I was initially really conscious of being the only white girl there but I was welcomed with open arms, was given a free shot of some crazy cherry booze and the punta chicks got me up on the floor and showed me how to shake it. Wicked fun! And I now have a total groupie crush on the drummer hahahaha!!!

So I am going back tonight.

Ha!

No comments: