Friday, July 4, 2008

All aboard the chicken bus!

We have been in Antigua Guatemala for a few days now and already it feels like home. After 11 hours on 5 chicken buses from San Cristobal to the side of a highway near Antigua, we made it into the town and met Pablo. Pablo took us to a great hostel, helped me to enrol in a good Spanish school and generally was a top bloke. Some people want to rip you off and some just want to help you...so we had a nice introduction to Antigua.

Antigua is a dramatically beautiful town surrounded by volcanoes, mountains and villages. The town is gorgeous, a bit too pretty but with enough traditional character to make it interesting. My spanish school is gorgeous and I have been spending my afternoons in the garden with my teacher, trying to get my brain to work again. But she is telling me I have potential so we will see!

We had been moving around a bit before then so its nice to be in one place again for a while to meet some people, make some friends, feel comfortable with the place. The bar at the hostel is called El Chillout and is run by two locals, Tops and Macanaca, who make great vego food and serve cheap drinks. I wake up every morning to Nina Simone and the smell of fresh coffee...ahhhh! They both helped us to celebrate Jodies birthday which was complete with firecrackers in the street! It was a wicked night and up there as one of the most memorable.

Its my birthday in a few days. I will be 32.

Fark!!!!!

No comments: